i've been known to break out into song...


Thursday, June 12, 2008

Running into moose, quite literally


So, if you have read the good friends and food post you'll remember that I have a relay race coming up in a week. In an out of character move, I decided to actually run a few times before the race - crazy I know. I think we could actually call it training if I did it with any sort of regularity.....So, cut to me out running the big hill that will serve as my last leg in the relay. It's a nice morning, well nice if I weren't running uphill but that is beside the point. The weather is nice, everything is green, the birds are singing, I am repeating the "f" word over and over as my personal mantra to try and get up this hill, in short, things are going swimmingly. I come around a blind corner, especially made blind by the fact that my head is down (I can't bring myself to look up and see that I have more climbing to do), what do I see? Two moose. I was startled to say the least, slipped on the loose dirt and fell. Quite literally running into the moose. Not to worry, I managed to get an F bomb out while falling to, what seemed to me, a moose trampling death. As luck would have it, these two beasts must have been religious - my filthy sailor mouth was enough to scare the hell out of them and they took off. Not before I managed to snap off this picture on my phone. I had to include it here because people are always on my case for not taking more pictures. Well, here is why. I pretty much took a picture of the ground. If you look closely however, you'll see one of the moose on the run - trying in vain to escape my vulgarities. There are two very valuable lessons here:

1- training can be dangerous, it is much safer to sit on the couch and eat donuts and just visualize the race
2- I need to sign up for a photography class, stat
Okay, that is all for now. It's been awhile since the last blog so I am just baby stepping back into it.

Om and the Mangy Moose,
Penny

2 comments:

Corbie said...

Is this what people do before races? They train? For the love of all that is holy, why didn't someone say something? I thought we were planning to show up in Phoenix like we always do - ill-prepared, hung-over (you, not me), and ready to race to the finish for whatever high-caloric food was being deep-fried. Well, you do it your way, I'll do it mine. I'm sitting on my couch until at least mid-December.

Anonymous said...

i have been checking like a fiend for a new blog and alas today i get my fix :) that is awesome, i think you could very well be the funniest person i've had the opportunity to meet in this lifetime! now you have some motivation for your leg, you can just pretend you are charging moose-es, what the hell's bells is the plural on that? don't forget to rev your little foot up before you actually do the charging, unsure of the whole scientific aspect as to why it is more effective that way but i assure you it is!



lovey dovey you!!!