i've been known to break out into song...


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us?

So, I woke up this morning thinking about people's definition of a soulmate (and yes, I am aware that "soul mate" is two words, I've had loads of coffee and skipped breakfast, at this point Merriam - Webster can bite me). When I hear people talking about finding their soulmate, as if there is just one and as if it must come in the form of a lover, I silently wish them the awareness to look around at the people they have loved, despised, married, divorced, hired, fired, laughed with, slept with, fought with, grown with - and recognize they have had many soulmates. I know what you are thinking, pretty deep for 6 am right? If only I had a way to let you all in on the random thoughts running through my head at any given time, maybe "Truman Show" style or something.....Anyway, it got me thinking about my sister, Melanie. If any of you have the pleasure of knowing Mel, you know what an amazing person she is. If any of you have had the pleasure of seeing us together, well you know why finding the perfect man, settling down and living the American dream has never been a priority for me. I have all the love I need! While many people I know spend their lives looking for that ONE person who makes them laugh, love, give, take, risk, wait, cry, expose, share, leap, stretch, withdraw, contemplate, I have been fortunate enough to have someone like that by my side from the moment I came into this world. My sister is my biggest fan, yet knows when to behave like my biggest rival. She is my voice when I have lost mine, my power when I give mine away, my compassion when I am blinded by anger, my vulnerability when I can't allow myself to appear weak (which, let's face it, is 99% of the time), and my nurturer when I have convinced myself I am not enough. She celebrates my victories, no matter how small they may be. She celebrates my failures, no matter how big they may be. I can't imagine my life without her, I cant imagine this world without the love and light she brings to it! Thank you for helping me become the person I was, the person I am and the person I will be. I love you peanut butter jelly time!

May
p.s. for more on Melanie, look to the links on the left!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

shoulder to shoulder can only be achieved when i am not towering over you in my never practical but yet still highly coveted & cherished stilettos! thank you for blessing me in all the lifetimes we have shared and have yet to share! my love for you is even stronger than those stinky garlic scented bagel shirts "YOU" used to discard in our bunk bed filled room & continues to grow & infect my heart & being like a welcoming plague! having you as my sister is like winning the lottery every single day! who else can say they could turn to their wee lass of a sister to hose down alcohol induced vomit on the passenger side door of their mother's borrowed car at 2 am? now i'll say goodnight and wish you dreams of disneyland! i love you mrs frates :) :) :)

pansyfan said...

I think if you took a poll on the position of one's soulmate, people would honestly say it wasn't their spouse. I suspect that in the twilight years of our life that will be the case, but in the earlier years it is the courage and help of our dear friends and family that define who holds that dance card. I met my soulmate at Catholic school some 23 years ago. Her friendship illustrates perfectly how the Lord always knows what we need. I've needed her for all these years, and will continue to do so.